“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”
– Martin Buber

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Day 15 - 7/29: Unexpected Adventures

Day 13 - 7/29: Pilgrim Prairie to Bend

Our routines are established. There is ease to our days.
Routines of Bike Touring: It can take a while to relax into a routine when you are setting up camp or pulling into a new space every evening and then packing up every morning. At first you are packing and repacking your bags, looking for things you think you brought, pawing through junk you wish you hadn’t brought, trying to figure out where that  “safe place” you put that important item. And if you are new co-travelers you need to work out who does what when you get off your bikes. Because most days you are too tired to deliberate. You just need to get things done so you can fill your bellies and lie down. Todd sets up the tent while I get out the food stuffs; while it is cooking, I blow up my sleeping mat and make my pillow. We eat. Todd does dishes. We brush our teeth and sink into our tent with great sighs of joy!
This morning we woke to a very quiet and empty campsite... except Mary who was gathering her stuff up to head to California. I walked over to greet her and ask for a picture. I hope I am doing that when I am 78!


Actually, I hope that I am simply doing something. It does not need to be cycling necessarily. I just want to be engaged with the world, using my body, appreciating simple beauty and human kindness. Right now bike touring is the best way I know how to do that.

The campsite host came by to collect the fee. He did not have change for a $20 so I could only pay a portion. He didn’t seem to mind. We talked about the forest fires and how often people leave fires burning at their campsite. It is hard to believe given all the evidence of the devastation of the fires around the state. He reports these people to the state and they come home from their vacations to find a fine for $590. Yikes!

Speaking of camping: Comfort and a good night sleep is a good thing after 8 hours in the saddle. It’s important to bring what you need to feel good, but you can’t bring too much stuff. How much is enough? What did I bring for three weeks? Click here to find out!

This day was supposed to be a pretty light 40-mile jaunt to Bend, but it turned into quite an adventure. In this neck of the woods, called the Cascade Lakes Highway, it is traditional and expected to ride the length of it up behind Mt Bachelor to Bend -- a pretty wide road that goes through a corridor of trees with mountains all around. It is pretty. But given the number of roads just like that we had been on, we were set on doing something different. Lava Lands visitor center near Sunriver got our eye. We had been passing by old Lava flows for the last few days and were curious how they were formed and where they originated from -- a blast, a seam?







We headed along a lesser road to Route 97 and then to Lava Lands site where we listened to a ranger explain the phenomena, walked around the huge lava flows and toured the very interesting visitor center. It was great. In the process we learned that instead of heading into Bend via the busy and wide route 97, we could go 4 miles down a road behind the center to a “bike path” that went along the Deschutes all the way to Bend. Hot damn! we thought as we headed down. Little did we know we would be doing some pretty technical single track with our laden down touring bikes with slick tires! Ha ha.

It was beautiful beautiful along the Deschutes that started at a foot bridge.


Powerful, blue, clear water glided and tumbled beside the trail, over a few big waterfalls. The trail was sandy and took some real care. I wiped out a time or two, mountain bikers clambered to the side of the trail when they saw our wide loads coming down the trail, but we were happy to have such an unexpected adventure. Wow. Todd had to take a picture of me and my bike all covered with dust and dirt when we finally reached the paved road to Bend.






We had thought we’d arrive at Pete Keane’s house mid afternoon, but we rolled in around 5:30. I haven’t seen Pete since 1992. He and I dated back in college and introduced me to ice and rock climbing, a sport that changed me and my life for the better. After going through a tough spell in my life, his easy-going manner and exceedingly good nature made life fun again. Eventually we went on a 6-week climbing trip across the country when I was 19. He helped me get over what I call the “who me?” complex. It’s the idea that other people get to do cool and radical stuff like ice climb. Thanks Pete. It was so great to see him and his family and spend time getting to know his life. He is the owner and a guide at Timberline Mountain Guides in Bend.

We were greeted with hot showers, beers and burgers. It doesn’t get better than that. Their son Calvin had created a US forest service regulation tent site for us in the back yard, with leveled out gravel. It was fantastic. We both went to sleep feeling very full of joy and gratitude and looked forward to a wonderful rest day the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment