“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”
– Martin Buber

Sunday, May 14, 2023

Almost ready to leave!

 A few more days and I will flying above the Atlantic Ocean on the way to Ireland. What a gift to leave my every day life and step into a very different one for three weeks. It's been a wild few years for this planet and for us humans walking around on it. 

Shakedown Hike - Everything Works!Packing up!

When things are really challenging I have an image I bring to mind that always helps: I imagine the view of Earth from space as it hurtles along through the blackness. I see myself, outsized, standing on it as it spins — my feet held by gravity and my arms up in the air waving wildly. I am smiling and wide-eyed.There are many others' too, screaming and laughing the way we do on carnival rides — half terrified and half exhilarated. In a real sense, that is what life often feels like and for some reason seeing this view from space allows me to relax into it. 

So then what a gift it is when I can go away and slow it all down. Even as I prepare these past few days, I can feel myself beginning to unwind the coil, loosen the spring, open the breath and the belly.

I will be traveling the first week with my brother Andy O'Shaughnessy who has never been to the green Isle. I look forward to seeing his face as he looks out over those rolling Limerick hills where our ancestors lives and survived. What a miracle that is! That our ancestors survived Cromwell's invasions, Viking marauding, the famine, the trip across the "pond" and the harsh conditions waiting for the "black" Irish. Mother's day always brings to mind the mother's before me doing whatever was needed to feed the children. 

We will spend our week together in Doolin, Aran Islands, Kinvara, Beara Penninsula and Killarney. We will walk and fish and take in the ancient rings of stone and beautiful, endless rock walls.

In Killarney, I will begin my two-week walk of the Kerry Way on my own.  This is a 140+ mile walk around the Diveragh Peninsula.  I have paper maps and plan to only use my phone to coordinate accommodations and check weather. The loop has a little of everything: mountain passes, village roads, seaside trails and ancient sites. I have the first three days planned out and then I will just see what comes my way. 

I do not plan to post along the way, but that could change. Here are some of the highlights I hope to encounter in the first four days:

Day 1: A bit of sightseeing before I hike through Killarney National Park with a stop at Muckross House and a stay at the Muckross Riding Stables

Day 2: My walkabout officially begins with a 14 mile hike to Black Valley Hostel

Day 3: After about 11 miles, I end my day in Glencar at the Loch Acoose house.

Day 4:  I've decided to try and do a significant side hiking trip over the tallest mountains in Ireland: Carrauntoohil and Coomloughra Horseshoe Loop and will stay another night at Lock Acoose.

Day 5:  An 11 mile walk to Glenbeigh.

Day 6: A big day to  Cahersiveen. 17 miles (we'll see! I have a tent and might end up camping along the way. If I make it, I will sleep at the Sive Hostel.

That's the basic gist! I might do some writing while on route, but will just wait to see what my soul needs! 




3 comments:

  1. Have a great trip! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So happy for you and Andy. Soak it all in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be walking with you in spirit. Dia duit.

    ReplyDelete