“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”
– Martin Buber

Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Day 7: Leaving the Beara and Testing out my Set up

 Going to bed after our full day in Allihies, it felt incomprehensible that we our week together was coming to a close. But, indeed, it was time to head North to Killarney for the final two days of our trip. 

As I started to pack I realized that the Beara Way hiking loop goes from Allihies and over to Eyeres on the North West side of the penninsula. I could pack up my rucksack and hike over while Andy fishes a little stream we found and then meets me in Eyeres. This plan turned out to be a fabulous success for both of us.

Andy dropped off at the far end of Allihies.


The route weaved its way through the Copper mines we had hiked by the day previous and then up and over the mountains. The sun was out again and the views were glorious. Sheep greeted me at every turn and all the gear worked well. Getting the right boots is no small thing so I was very happy they passed muster.





I was a late meeting Andy but when I got there he was smiling and ready to tell me about the little Brown Trouts he caught in the small mountain stream. I wish I had the photo he took to show you. Here is a representation:

From there we headed to the wildly busy Kenmare before heading up Molls Gap, The Black Valley and the Gap of Dunloe. This ride is the most breathtakingly beautiful route I’ve ever been on. Last time Todd and I had our bikes and were shaking our heads at how crazy it would be to drive through these narrow passes, but here I was behind the driver’s seat. There was no way I was letting Andy leave Ireland without having front row seat to all that beauty. I will mix some internet images in with the few we took.  Moll’s Gap:



Todd has a great photo of the Black Valley and all I have to share is that high speed video! It is a magical place. I will get the photo from Todd.

We  stopped at the top of the Gap of Dunloe and hiked most of the way up Purple Mountain in order to get a proper look and then we descended the impossibly narrow and twisty road down to the outskirts of Killarney.




If you really want to know what the drive was like…

Killarney is a shocker after being out where we were. We sat in traffic for a good while before inching our way to our apartment. We still had enough time to get to a store and cook a nice meal!

Tomorrow is a fishing day for Andy and I decided to get myself sorted out better for my trip. I still had a bunch of questions about my route and where I was going to stay. 





No comments:

Post a Comment