“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”
– Martin Buber

Thursday, May 25, 2023

Day 9: Addendum to Parting Ways

After Andy left I finished typing up loose ends and then headed out into busy Killarney roadways. Immediately I thought, "Wow! This pack is heavy!" Turns out the "test-drive" I had given the pack a few days ago did not include food and was on rolling terrain. The first two days of this hike has spotty food sources so I had a lot of food and was walking on pavement. And it was hot. 

My plan this first day was a wise one: hike a short 6 km to to the B and B to try out the load, drop off the pack and then explore the Muckross House and gardens. 

I felt how different this adventure is from others. I am alone so no one to share the load of common items like first aid kit and emergency gear. I am 57 years old and carry a mental backdrop of apprehension about developing overuse injuries. I've had my share recently and had promised myself that I would be gentle and kind to my body on this trip. As I continued walking the 6 km along the busy tourist route with this huge pack it did not feel gentle or kind.

So I stopped at a park and unloaded into a trash bin a some precious items: an orange, vitamins, jar of peanut butter, honey and other sundries. I admit to have been pretty anxious and simply (and maybe just a bit rashly) jettisoning this "stuff." I chuckled to myself as I walked away a bit lighter. I used to invite discomfort! Now I am older and wiser. 

On the way from the Muckross Riding Stables B & B to Muckross, I saw a decent restaurant. This is good news, because without a car "going out" to dinner can be tricky. 

The day is gorgeous and sunny and so are the ground of Muckross House. The busyness of Killarney feels very far away as I walk under huge trees and along Lough Leane. People are exploring this lush oasis by jaunting cart, bike and two feet, like me. 

It was easy to lose track of time and distance as I wound my way around the paths and the big house and gardens. This is the joy of traveling alone, just following your nose. 

I ended the day by eating a 1/2 chicken and pint of Guiness at Colgans Gastro Pub to set me up well for my first big day tomorrow!







No comments:

Post a Comment