“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”
– Martin Buber

Friday, August 9, 2013

Day 21: Closing the Circle

Day 21: Sweet Home to Scio

Todd bought his Trek 520 from Roger of Scio, Oregon. During the course of the transaction they became friends. Roger has ridden across the country several times and has posted the stories of his adventures on crazyguyonabike.com - https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/directory/?o=1&user=irisimages&v=3

Roger and his wife May were insistent that we visit them when we were in Oregon and wanted to help support us in any way possible. They went above and beyond average helpfulness by offering to get boxes for our bikes and then toting us to the airport 70 miles away.

As we rode into Scio we paused at the river for lunch and to just take in the last moments on our bikes. We swam to cool off, rested and ate lovely peanut butter and fresh blackberry sandwiches.

Blackberries were everywhere, waiting to be picked.





Once we were filled up and content to go socialize, we headed to their house where we heard an "event" was happening. Turns out "Friends of the Library" was having a potluck at Roger's house. We arrived into a buzz of relaxed preparations and were received with such genuine warmth and care our hearts ached. It just felt like we were family.




The visit was long and relaxing as they opened their home and their lives to us, sharing stories and involving us in the activities. It was the most ideal way to end our trip. We ate so much fresh corn and home made goodies that our bellies ached. We slept deeply.

On the flight home I thought of all the people I had to thank for this trip. I have never experienced anything like it. I have only been on a few vacations in my life. I felt pared down and simple. I felt full of people's goodness and the beauty of the land. I felt grateful for my body and for my husband with whom I had shared so much goodness, camaraderie, mutual kindness and support.

We returned to Vermont on our wedding anniversary filled to the brim.

No comments:

Post a Comment